The Kempenfelt Quilters’ Guild has been making quilts for this program since 2000. These quilts are donated to the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH) two to three times a year, depending on the number of quilts. The quilts are designed to cover the isolets housing these at-risk babies, to restrict the room lighting and add a more ‘homey’ feel to the Unit. Parents may choose a quilt or quilts for their child(ren) when they arrive in the Unit. The quilt(s) remains with the infant(s) while in the Unit, travels with them to other medical facilities and finally home at the end of their stay. All quilts are washed by dedicated RVH volunteers before being given to the babies.
Information regarding the quilts:
- Quilt Size: must measure 40” X 60” as it must cover the isolet.
- Quilt Backing: Backings can now be plain, patterned or flannelette fabric & can be quilted with contrasting thread.
- Bindings can blend or match the quilt top or backing
- Quilted top – go wild, be creative and enjoy!
- Quilting – by hand or machine, no ties please!
- Fabrics – bright cheerful “baby-friendly” 100% cottons or flannels – no fleece please!
- Labels – on the FRONT of the quilt. Labels are available from Comfort Quilts Coordinators. Please include your name, date and a message if you wish
- Kits are available from Comfort Quilts either as a ‘put together’ kit or one that is ‘to be quilted’. Kits are available at most meetings.
- Patterns – are available from Comfort Quilts or your own choice
- Donations – monetary from Rama and TD Canada Trust or fabric and batting from Fabricland, Barrie. Members and non-members have also generously donated suitable fabric for the quilts.
The Comfort Quilt group usually meets Fridays twice monthly from September to May at Grace United Church in Barrie from 10:00am until 2:00 pm. At these meetings quilt kits are assembled (pre-cut fabric, label, batting and batting or sewn quilt tops, batting and backing) or members make their own quilts. Guild members are welcome to join the group at any time. Since the program’s inception over 1200 quilts have been donated to the NICU.
Barb Bull & Waverley Reid
Comfort Quilt Co-coordinators